Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Mantaray MR64 Drivers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member hondadoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just purchased a pair of these horns on eBay and they do not have drivers. I plan on using them in a bi amped system driven with a Conrad Johnson tube amp (MV-75a1) crossed over at 800 hz. I'm new to this horn business, but have several friends who swear by them so thought I'd give it a go. Glad I found this forum, lotsa good info.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    I think I was bidding against you for these, congratulations on your win. What are you going to use for drivers ? I have a pair of 311-60 horns and love them but have been intrigued by the CD Mantaray horns like you got. I would be interested in hearing what you think of them.

    Regards,

  3. #3
    Inactive Member hondadoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't have any drivers yet and was hoping to get some suggestions here. Any help would be appreciated.

    --------

    Doug Wyman

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am using 291-16A Alnico drivers. The diaphrams have a clear orange ring around the outer edge of the aluminum dome. They are apparently the high power verson and not the best for Hi Fi. However, for my aging, half deaf ears they sound fine.

    I believe you can use any Altec large format driver with your Mantarays. I have been told by others here on the Altec Users Board that the best sound comes from drivers with orignial Altec all aluminum diaphrams so I would look for that kind.

    Happy hunting,

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

  6. #6
    Inactive Member hondadoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the help--The whole horn deal is new to me, and drivers and their matching some new concepts but I thought I'd give it a try as I've tried about everything else but over the years.

    Thanks again
    ------------
    Doug Wyman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.